10 January 2011

New Years Resolutions

There is nothing like the New Year to help regain control of one's finances. The holidays are over, which hopefully means the end of overspending and overindulging. Of course, one of my many new years resolutions is to work on living more closely to my budget. With the help of the website mint.com, I have analyzed my past finances and set goals for the future. I saw where I overspent (shopping, restaurants, and coffee shops, shocking I know!) and underspent (happily, alcohol and bars). Using this information, I have adjusted my budget accordingly and laid out my plan for 2011.

I am trying to spend no more than $10 at Starbucks per week, $40 per month. In fact, I have not been yet in 2011. But of course, I wanted to build in some wiggle room just in case I need an emergency venti soy chai latte. (Considering, my fave beverage is also upwards of 300 calories, this also fits in with another resolution).

I am also trying to spend less on restaurants and apply some of that savings to spending more at the supermarket. I have allotted $60 per week to supermarket spending and $50 per week for restaurants. This still allows me to either get one or two nice dinners in per week OR to buy lunch a few days per week (which ALWAYS winds up happening no matter how hard I try to prevent it).

I have also cut my shopping (in which I include everything from clothes to books to music) budget, which I know will be the most difficult to stick to... But here's to good things in the New Year.

Also, as a bonus, here is the recipe I will be making tonight (for under $15).

Warm Chick Pea Stew.

Active time: 15 minutes
Total time:
75 minutes
Serves:
8
Cost:
$8 or $11*

  • 1 ½ Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 ½ cup diced onions
  • ¾ cup diced celery
  • 2 tsp ground ginger
  • 2 tsp turmeric
  • ½ tsp ground black pepper
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • ½ tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes and their juices
  • 3 cups chicken stock (if store-bought, by low sodium variety)
  • 20 oz canned chickpeas, rinsed
  • 14 oz can lentils, rinsed
  • ½ cup short grain brown rice
  • ¾ tsp salt
  • ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
  • 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
  • Cilantro sprigs for garnishing
Heat the olive oil in a medium stockpot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onions and celery and cook until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the ginger, turmeric, pepper, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and their juices, stirring well. Stir in the chicken stock, lentils, and chickpeas. Bring to a boil.


Add the rice and salt and return the stew to a simmer. Cook covered for 60 minutes, until rice is tender. Add the cilantro, parsley, and lemon juice. Cook uncovered for 5 minutes.

Ladle into warmed soup bowls and garnish with fresh cilantro sprigs.

*If using store-bought stock.


Click here to check out other recipes for under $15 from Learnvest.

No comments:

Post a Comment